Placenta consumption is an age-old tradition that has been utilized across cultures over centuries, providing women with physical and emotional benefits during the postpartum period. Placenta encapsulation is a modernized approach to this longstanding practice.
Why placenta encapsulation?
Recently placenta encapsulation has garnered attention from celebrity moms, giving rise to a new, mainstream following who swear by its benefits. *The reported benefits of placenta encapsulation and consumption include:
- Decrease in baby blues and postpartum depression
- Hormonal balance
- Increase in energy
- Increased milk production
- Increase in iron levels
- Reduction in postpartum bleeding
There are many avenues to easing the transition to life with your new baby. One of the most important of those is self-care. Let your placenta nourish and replenish you as you recover from pregnancy and birth.
The CLEbaby Difference
- Our Postpartum Placenta Specialists uphold the highest safety standards in the industry. We are committed to using Universal Precautions, and have been rigorously trained through ProDoula’s Placenta Prep, OSHA compliant Bloodborne Pathogens Training, and the Ohio Food Handlers Training. We are the safe, professional choice for Cleveland parents.
- We only encapsulate in your home. This means your placenta will not be exposed to any unfamiliar bacteria that may interfere with your postpartum recovery. And you can rest assured that it is your placenta you are consuming.
- Our Postpartum Placenta Specialists are also trained as Postpartum Doulas. Since we are encapsulating in your home, we are available to support and educate you as you transition to life with a new baby.
- We provide you with everything you need. From the transport kit, to the cleaning and sanitization of your kitchen, our process results in beautifully packaged capsules complete with instructions for use. Every detail is accounted for so that you can start taking your placenta pills soon after birth.
The processing of your placenta by a trained CLEbaby Postpartum Placenta Specialist
A ready-to-go transport kit which adheres to the World Health Organization’s guidelines
Your encapsulated placenta capsules, usually yielding around 75-200 capsules
Tailored usage instructions
Cord keepsake (if cord is long enough)
Followup support by phone/email
Contact us below to learn more about encapsulating your placenta, or to book one of our Postpartum Placenta Specialists today!
Still got questions? We’ve got answers!
And always feel free to contact us to discuss your specific questions and needs.
What method of encapsulation do you use?
CLEbaby offers the traditional method of encapsulation, which is based on Traditional Chinese Medicine. The process includes steaming the placenta prior to dehydration in order to kill germs and bacteria. Additionally, this method is designed to help balance the placenta after childbirth. Knowing that this is the method we use gives our clients peace of mind for safe consumption.
How and when do I contact you?
Please contact your Postpartum Placenta Specialist (PPS) by phone at 216.694.8266, between the hours of 8am and 9pm within 12 hours of the birth of your baby and your placenta. Our preference is to encapsulate your placenta as quickly as possible, so letting your PPS know asap means they will accommodate you at their earliest convenience.
What do I do with the placenta until you get here?
The placenta must be placed in a cooler on ice or in a refrigerator within 2-4 hours of the birth, and kept refrigerated until your Postpartum Placenta Specialist (PPS) begins the process of encapsulating. If we are not able to begin the encapsulation process within 3 days of birth, you should place the placenta in the freezer and defrost it in the refrigerator prior to your PPS’ arrival.
When do you start the process?
Ideally we like to begin the process within 72 hours of your birth so that your capsules will be ready for ingestion by day 4. If this is not possible or undesirable by you, freezing your placenta and then defrosting it prior to encapsulation is recommended. Your placenta can be frozen up to 3 months.
Why do you process in my home?
As ProDoula Trained Postpartum Placenta Specialists, our professionalism and your safety and peace of mind are our priorities. The guidelines that we are required to follow far exceed the standards of the industry. It benefits you to have this process done in your home in the following ways:
- You can be confident that your placenta is in fact yours as it is the only one in your home and brought there yourself.
- There is no risk of your placenta being exposed to unfamiliar bacteria that may interfere with healthy postpartum recovery. This is an important tenet to the food industry, and because you will be consuming your placenta, it is important for this process as well.
- As Postpartum Placenta Specialists we can support you the best when we are present with you. We are trained to educate and support you during this period and want you to reap the full benefits of what we have to offer.
What if my friends/family are unsupportive?
Your decision to encapsulate your placenta is a personal one and it may not be for everyone. Sharing decisions about birth, parenting, and postpartum recovery that are personal to you may expose you to unnecessary judgement from others. Choose what is best for you and make no apologies for those decisions. Your finished product will look like any other vitamin or supplement and will not be cause for a visitor to question it.
Do we need to be home during the process?
This is completely up to you and your comfort level. Whatever you decide is how we will move forward. As professionals, it is our desire to to make the process as smooth and comfortable for you as possible.
How long does the process take?
The entire process will take approximately 24 hours. Your PPS will be with you for about 2 hours each day for 2 consecutive days.
How do I take my capsules?
While you will discuss general guidelines for consumption with your PPS and instructions will be provided with your capsules, we encourage you to follow your body’s cues and set a routine for consumption that meets your individual needs.
In what scenarios is my placenta unable to be encapsulated?
Because placenta consumption is not studied for drug/health contraindications there are very few hard and firm rules. What we base our information on are basic Traditional Chinese Medicine principles, drug safety for breastfeeding, food handling guidelines, and anecdotal information.
Generally a placenta cannot be consumed if:
- Client has an active uterine infection during labor
- Improper handling, including:
- Failure to refrigerate placenta within 4 hours
- Placenta not frozen after 4 days
- Placenta comes into contact with any unnatural substance
- Chorioamnionitis, or an infection between the layers of the placenta
- Client is HIV positive or has AIDS
- Birth facility will not release the placenta
- Full lotus birth
- An allergic reaction to morphine
The following conditions should not prevent the consumption of one’s placenta:
- Gestational diabetes
- GBS positive
- Delayed cord clamping
- Cord blood collection or donation
- Yeast infection at time of birth
- Meconium at birth
- Client taking depression or anxiety medication
- Medications administered during labor including: