A Healthy 2017 in CLE
It’s the end of January, which means your New Year’s resolutions have been tested for an entire month. If you’re one of the many whose resolutions involves living a healthier lifestyle (I am!), then hopefully you’ve been utilizing Cleveland’s resources to the max. Our city has a smorgasbord of options for making healthy fun and delicious. And if you need some fresh ideas to help you on your healthy way, here are some of our favorite local resources. And none of them involve kale! (No offense kale, you’re just… not my favorite).
Meal delivery has become popular in recent years, both for its ability to provide great-tasting healthy meals and recipes, and because of the convenience factor. If you’re a busy parent juggling work, a household, kids and their schedules… finding the time to prepare healthy meals seems like an impossible task. Instead of finishing off your kids’ microwave mac ‘n’ cheese, we have several options in Cleveland for meal delivery and pickup.
• Raw Trainer provides affordable raw, vegan meal packs, and has pickup locations all over Northeast Ohio. There’s even dessert – I’m talkin’ healthy cobbler, cookies, and pie – so that you can satisfy your sweet tooth and never feel deprived. They also have a really cool “rawards” system where you can earn points for $$ off future purchases. And, okay I lied, there may be some kale involved.
• Mod Meals provides locally-sourced meals from some of your favorite Cleveland restaurants and chefs. It’s delivered to your doorstep, you heat it, and voilà – a restaurant-worthy meal in the comfort of your home.
• Sprinly delivers organic, plant-based meals to your door weekly. They use gluten-free ingredients with no refined sugars or sweeteners, and all of their meals are approved by a nutritionist. They’re the new kids on the block, but have been really busy in their first year of business, and receive glowing reviews from their clients.
Finding time for fitness is another one of those activities that tends to sink to the bottom of the list when we have so many other things to worry about. But self-care is super important for our physical and mental well-being.
• Baby Boot Camp Cleveland teaches fitness and nutrition, and provides community support for Moms. They have a variety of programs including: birth recovery, stroller fitness, running programs, and even a 4-week intensive program to help repair diastasis recti.
• The Cleveland Metroparks are wonderful not only for the walking paths and gorgeous scenery; depending on the season they also offer activities to get you outside and moving. Check out tobogganing, cross-country skiing, and snow shoeing during the colder months, and golf, cycling, paddlesports, and hiking in the warmer months.
• If you haven’t stumbled upon UH Bikes yet, you will once the weather breaks. Like many other major cities, Cleveland now has a bike share service. If you’re a visitor to CLE or only intend to use it occasionally, there is a pay-as-you-go option. For those who intend on using it often, for commuting to work and elsewhere, there’s a monthly plan. And you can find and book bikes on an app through your mobile device – easy peasy!And if you're traveling, check out Bikemunk; they have a comprehensive list of bike share services throughout the US: http://www.bikemunk.com/bike-share-companies.
Personally, I know that when I exercise, am well-rested, and eat healthy, I’m a better wife, mom, and businesswoman. It makes me feel confident, improves my attitude, and gives me energy to make it through those especially long, difficult days (uh, most days with two toddlers). So stay strong on those resolutions, and build on your healthy lifestyle using CLE’s wonderful and ever-expanding resources.